At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 25 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
Working at OQC as a Quantum RF Engineer you will use microwave analysis tools to design superconducting quantum processors. This includes RF circuit modelling of non-linear systems and simulations of 3D electromagnetic environments to predict processor behaviour.
Your primary aim will be to design microwave control circuitry and packaging. Here you will produce optimised solutions that are robust to electromagnetic interference and suitable for cryogenic environments.
The role will involve analysis, simulation, and lab-based testing. Further responsibilities will include microwave I/O characterisation, signal-to-noise optimisation and filtering design.
In this role, your work will directly support the UK’s only commercially available quantum computer, and you will contribute to building a quantum powered future and enable life-changing discoveries.
- A firm understanding of RF equipment, technologies, constraints and requirements
- Explore solutions, determining feasibility and advising on development options
- Meet with vendors/technology suppliers to evaluate and select components
- Design, simulate, test, analyze and commission solutions
- Capture ideas and results in high quality documentation
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in electronics or similar
- An excellent understanding of RF/microwave principles, theory and design techniques
- Familiarity using electronic design tools, particularly FEA
- Experience using lab equipment to test and analyse designs
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to work with customers and suppliers
- Ability to take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- At least 3 years experience in RF / Microwave design
- Scripting in Python or similar
- Experience working with cryogenic components
- Experience with PCB design
- Familiarity with RF up/down-conversion
- Experience with analogue/digital converters and DSP
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At OQC we are not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit and all our colleagues share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to diversity. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or if you think we can do better with our recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.